1926-1932: Oakland Motor Car Co.
1933-present: General Motors Corp.
The Pontiac Spring and Wagon Works was incorporated in July of 1899 by Albert G. North and Harry G. Hamilton. At that time Pontiac Spring and Wagon Works were manufacturing various horse drawn wagon parts as well as complete buggies and wagons. In 1905 Pontiac Spring & Wagon Works took over the manufacturing of the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company which produced the Rapid Truck. In 1907 the decision was made to produce an automobile due to growing demand.
A merger of the Oakland Motor Car Company and the Pontiac Spring & Wagon Works occurred in 1908, The operations of both companies were joined together in Pontiac, Michigan to build the Cartercar
In 1909 William C. Durant, then General Motors Corp. president purchased a 50% interest in the Oakland Motor Car Company. Later that year General Motors Corp. purchased the other 50% stake in the company after the death of Walter M. Murphy, major shareholder of the Oakland Motor Car Company. GM's first Pontiac was introduced as an affordable six cylinder intended to compete in the more inexpensive four cylinder range. The all new Pontiac was quickly outselling Oakland, a trend that continued for the following years. Oakland ceased production in 1932.
Note: Information, Specifications, Resources & Photos found in the Research Library should only be used as general guidelines. OldRide LLC makes no warranty as to the authenticity and accuracy of the information contained hereon.