|The 1960 Buick Invicta Convertible
1960 Buick Invicta
The Buick Invicta was the middle of the road among the lineup of Buick models in 1960. The full sized vehicle offered a variety of body styles including a 2 door convertible and a 4 door station wagon. It came equipped with standard features found in the Buick LeSabre plus Turbine Drive transmission, electric clock, automatic trunk light, deluxe steering wheel, license plate frame and deluxe wheel covers.
The 1960 Invicta took a step back towards the modest direction from the 1959 model. The headlights were now placed side by side and the hood was lowered for a better sight-line. On the inside, a new trim package was available that offered bucket seats plus the instrument panel was all new with lights for various gauges.
1960 Buick Invicta Production Numbers
||Body Type & Seating
||4 Dr Sedan - 6P
||4 Dr Hardtop - 6P
||2 Dr Hardtop - 6P
||2 Dr Convertible Coupe - 6P
||4 Dr Station Wagon - 8P
||4 Dr Station Wagon - 6P
||7.60 x 15
- Synchro-Mesh transmission standard on LeSabre, not available in other series. Turbine Drive transmission optional on LeSabre, standard on Invicta, and Electra 225. Turbine Drive transmission, torque converter type. Fully automatic, two turbines, variable-pitch stator and fixed-vane stator. Maximum torque ratio in Drive range at stall, 3.4 to 1. Total oil capacity (refill), 12 quarts.
- Ball-joint suspension, coil springs front and rear, true-balance stabilizer, track bar, hydraulic shock absorbers front and rear.
- Buick Torque-Tube, semi-floating rear axle with hypoid gears. Gear ratio: 3.58 to 1 with Synchro-Mesh trans- mission, 3.07 to 1 with Turbine Drive transmission, 3.23 to 1 with Turbine Drive and Power Pack.
- Hydraulic. Air-cooled, finned aluminum brake drums front; air-cooled, finned cast iron brake drums rear. Total lining area 218.03 square inches. Step-on parking brake. Power brakes standard on Electra and Electra 225, optional on Invicta and LeSabre.
- Box-section side rails with "K" type crossmember.
- Built-in carburetor de-icer, automatjc choke and idling control standard on all models. Two-stage filtering system includes filter in fuel tank plus extra fine filter at the carburetor. New polyurethane air cleaner element provides far more efficient cleaning. 20-gallon fuel tank.
- Single muffler for both banks of cylinders is mounted crosswise to the frame. Heavy zinc and aluminum coatings of muffler parts promote long life. Dual exhaust standard on Electra 225.
- Pressure system. Capacity: with he; quarts; without heater 17 quarts.
: standard recirculating ball-nut type. Ratio 29.3 to 1. Easy Power Steering is standard on Electra 225, optional on LeSabre and Invicta.
- 12 volt. Delco-Remy system.
Wheels and Tires
- Full 15-inch wheels. 7.60 x 15 Tyrex cord tires standard on LeSabre and Invicta; 8.00 x 15 tires standard on Electra 225. Whitewall tires optional.
Some of the other rare and neat options for the 60' Buick consisted of:
Mirromagic instrument panel
Air-flo aluminum brake drums
Full-flow oil filter
Electric windshield wipers
Automatic glove compartment light
Trip- mileage indicator
Dual sliding sunshades
Step-on parking brake
Crank-operated front window vents
Safety PLATE glass in every window (except rear)
Built-in carburetor de-icer
Single- key locking system
Full 15-inch wheels
Instrument panel safety pad