|The 1959 Buick Invicta four door hardtop
1959 Buick Invicta
All new for 1959 was the Buick Invicta replacing the Century. It featured a lower body, (3 inches lower on hardtop models) a higher roll center, wider track and power-steering unit. The full sized vehicle offered 5 different body styles ranging from a 2 door convertible to a 4 door station wagon. It was powered by a 401-cubic-inch engine with a longer stroke and wider bore than in 1958. The Invicta came equipped with standard features found in the Buick LeSabre plus Foamtex seat cushions, electric clock, deluxe steering wheel, full wheelcovers and an instrument panel cover.
1959 Buick Invicta Production Numbers
||Body Type & Seating
||4 Dr Sedan - 6P
||4 Dr Hardtop - 6P
||2 Dr Hardtop - 6P
||2 Dr Convertible Coupe - 6P
||4 Dr Station Wagon - 6P
||7.60 x 15
Direction Signals; Sliding Sunshades; Cigarette Lighter; Automatic Glove Compartment Light; Electric Windshield Wipers; Out-side Rear View Mirror on Convertible; Dual Horns; Gas-Filler Door; Horizontal Redliner Speedometer; Trip-Mileage Indicator; Safety Plate Glass in every window.
- Optional at extra cost on all models. Fully automatic. Three turbines. Infinite pitch stator. Total oil capacity, 25 pints.
- Built-in carburetor de-icer. Automatic choke and idle control. lntake silencer and aluminum element air cleaner on Wildcat; oil-wetted cleaner on Wildcat 445. Fuel tank capacity, 20 gallons. Anti-rust fuel line. Automatic intake manifold heat control.
- Thermostatic and by-pass temperature control. Pressure relief valve in filler cap. Water capacity, 16.5 quarts,19.0 quarts with heater.
- Buick Torque-Tube Drive, semi-floating rear axle with hypoid gears. Gear ratio: LeSabre, 3.07 to 1 with Twin Turbine, 3.23 to 1 with Twin Turbine and Power Pack; 3.23 to 1 Invicta and Electra; 2.78 to. 1 all models with Triple Turbine.
- Ball-joint front suspension. Coil springs, front and rear. Track bar, tubular steel bar mounted in rubber. Buick Air Ride optional.
- Ball bearing worm and nut; 28.8 to 1 over-all ratio. New Easy Power Steering optional. Frame-Boxed side rails with "K" type crossmember.
- Double-acting directtype, front and rear.
- Four-wheel hydraulic. Air-cooled aluminum brake drums, front-fin cast iron brake drums, rear, 12.015 diameter,front and rear. StepOn Parking Brake.
- 12 volt-70 amp. Delco-Remy. Solenoid starter. Battery mounted under hood. Dual headlights.
Wheels and Tires
- Full size 15. wheels. Tubeless Rayon Cord Tires. Broad rim, demountable steel disc wheels; LeSabre and Invicta, 15 x 5; Electra, 15 x 6. Tire Size; LeSabre and Invicta, 7.60 x 15, 4-ply. 8.00 x 15, 4-ply optional on Invicta. 8.00 x 15, 4-ply standard on Electra.
Some of the other rare and neat options for the 59' Buick consisted of:
Wonderbar signal-seeking radio
Transistor portable radio
Speed control safety buzzer
E-Z eye glass windshield
Power windows and vents
Rear seat speaker