|Sweeping fins from front to rear on the 1959 Buick LeSabre
1959 Buick LeSabre
In 1959 Buick built the most radical and wildest Buick yet. With fins that swept from the front to the rear, and a grill made of rectangular squares, the 59' Buick was created with all new design!
The Lesabre included bright trim steps that ran the length of the body. Standard Lesabre equipment included dual horns, electric wipers, glove box light, horizontal Red Liner speedometer and a trip milage indictaor.
1959 Buick LeSabre Production Numbers
||Body Type & Seating
||4 Dr Sedan - 6P
||4 Dr Hardtop - 6P
||2 Dr Sedan - 6P
||2 Dr Hardtop - 6P
||2 Dr Convertible Coupe - 6P
||4 Dr Station Wagon - 6P
LeSabre Standard Equipment:
||7.60 x 15
Direction Signals; Sliding Sunshades; Cigarette Lighter; Automatic Glove Compartment Light; Electric Windshield Wipers; Out-side Rear View Mirror on Convertible; Dual Horns; Gas-Filler Door; Horizontal Redliner Speedometer; Trip-Mileage Indicator; Safety Plate Glass in every window.
LeSabre Clutch and Transmission
- Coil springs, single dry-plate clutch. All-silent Synchromesh Transmission, helical gears.
- Optional at extra cost on all models. Fully automatic. Three turbines. Infinite pitch stator. Total oil capacity, 25 pints.
LeSabre Valve-In-Head Wildcat Engine
- 250 horsepower, compression ratio 10.5 to 1 with Turbine Transmission (optional). Bore and stroke 4.125 x 3.4. Displacement, 364 cubic inches. Dual downdraft carburetor. Single exhaust with cross-over. Maximum torque, 384 ft.-lbs. at 2400 rpm. with Turbine Transmission. Full-pressure lubrication to main, connecting rod and camshaft bearings. Full-flow oil filter.
LeSabre and Invicta Wheelbase
- 123.0 inches on all models. Front tread, 62 inches. Rear tread 60 inches.
Over-all car length, 217.4 inches.
- Built-in carburetor de-icer. Automatic choke and idle control. lntake silencer and aluminum element air cleaner on Wildcat; oil-wetted cleaner on Wildcat 445. Fuel tank capacity, 20 gallons. Anti-rust fuel line. Automatic intake manifold heat control.
- Thermostatic and by-pass temperature control. Pressure relief valve in filler cap. Water capacity, 16.5 quarts,19.0 quarts with heater.
- Buick Torque-Tube Drive, semi-floating rear axle with hypoid gears. Gear ratio: LeSabre, 3.07 to 1 with Twin Turbine, 3.23 to 1 with Twin Turbine and Power Pack; 3.23 to 1 Invicta and Electra; 2.78 to. 1 all models with Triple Turbine.
- Ball-joint front suspension. Coil springs, front and rear. Track bar, tubular steel bar mounted in rubber. Buick Air Ride optional.
- Ball bearing worm and nut; 28.8 to 1 over-all ratio. New Easy Power Steering optional. Frame-Boxed side rails with "K" type crossmember.
- Double-acting directtype, front and rear.
- Four-wheel hydraulic. Air-cooled aluminum brake drums, front-fin cast iron brake drums, rear, 12.015 diameter,front and rear. StepOn Parking Brake.
- 12 volt-70 amp. Delco-Remy. Solenoid starter. Battery mounted under hood. Dual headlights.
Wheels and Tires
- Full size 15. wheels. Tubeless Rayon Cord Tires. Broad rim, demountable steel disc wheels; LeSabre and Invicta, 15 x 5; Electra, 15 x 6. Tire Size; LeSabre and Invicta, 7.60 x 15, 4-ply. 8.00 x 15, 4-ply optional on Invicta. 8.00 x 15, 4-ply standard on Electra.
Some of the other rare and neat options for the 59' Buick consisted of:
Wonderbar signal-seeking radio
Transistor portable radio
Speed control safety buzzer
E-Z eye glass windshield
Power windows and vents
Rear seat speaker