Motoexotica Classic Cars
2340 Cassens Dr.
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis , Missouri
1948 Jeep GPW
Vintage military Jeep, Ford GPW body under license to Willys
Willys 134 CID Go-Devll four-cylinder, correct replacement engine
Three-speed manual transmission
Army Green exterior
World War II-era seven-slot grille, canvas top and tow bar
Fold-down rear seat with air pump; full-size spare tire mounted in rear
Recent repairs to front brake drums, shock absorbers and flywheel plus recently rebuilt carburetor; the oil pan and transfer case gaskets have been replaced
Shock mounts strengthened, frame reinforced and new tie rod ends
Own this Vehicle from $229 per month-call 636-600-4600
Fans of military vehicles will want to pay attention to this new arrival a 1948 Jeep GPW has recently arrived at MotoeXotica Classic Cars. It is a rolling conversation piece, guaranteed to turn heads, make people ask questions and make former soldiers smile.It hails from Arizona where the previous owner had the car since 2014.
Dressed in Army Green, this Jeeps paint is in satisfactory condition, as one would expect on a vehicle of this type and age. The fold-down windshield is in decent order as well. The sardine tin on wheels has lights that look great and its bodywork is straight and solid. The engine bay is very tidy and the bumpers are in better-than-average condition.It comes complete with tools should you find yourself in need.
This Jeep rolls on green steel wheels surrounded by rubber from Specialty Tires of America, size 6.00-16LT at all four corners. The wheels are in good order while the tires are in very good condition.
Under the hood is a replacement Willys 134 CID Go-Devil engine linked to a three-speed manual transmission. This Jeep has had recent repairs to its front brake drums, its shock absorbers and flywheel plus it has a recently rebuilt carburetor. ODO/Speedo are inop. The oil pan and transfer case gaskets have been replaced and the shock absorber mounts have been strengthened, the frame reinforced and new tie rod ends installed.
Inside, the Jeeps seats are in satisfactory order. The rear seat folds down and theres an air pump back there. The three-spoke steering wheel is in mediocre shape, as is the shifter. The instrument panel is in satisfactory condition.
Since Bantam did not have the production capacity or fiscal stability to deliver on the scale needed by the War Department, the other two bidders, Ford and Willys, were encouraged to complete their own pilot models for testing. The contract for the new reconnaissance car was to be determined by trials. As testing of the Bantam prototype took place from September 27 to October 16, Ford and Willys technical representatives present at Holabird were given ample opportunity to study the vehicle's performance. Moreover, in order to expedite production, the War Department forwarded the Bantam blueprints to Ford and Willys, claiming the government owned the design. Bantam did not dispute this move due to its precarious financial situation. By November 1940, Ford and Willys each submitted prototypes to compete with the Bantam in the Army's trials. The pilot models, the WillysQuadand theFordPygmy, turned out very similar to each other and were joined in testing by Bantam's entry, now evolved into a Mark II called theBRC 60.By then the U.S. and its armed forces were already under such pressure that all three cars were declared acceptable and orders for 1,500 units per company were given for field testing. At this time, it was acknowledged the original weight limit (which even Bantam could not meet) was unrealistic and it was raised to 2,160pounds.
For these respective pre-production runs, each vehicle received revisions and a new name. Bantam's became the BRC 40. Production began on March 31, 1941, with a total of 2,605 built up to December 6.As the company could not meet the Army's demand for 75 Jeeps a day, production contracts were also awarded to Willys and to Ford.
After reducing the vehicle's weight by 240 pounds, Willys changed the designation toMAfor Military model A. The Fords went into production asGP, with G for a Government type contract and P commonly used by Ford to designate any passenger car with awheelbaseof 80inches.
By July 1941, the War Department desired to standardize and decided to select a single manufacturer to supply them with the next order for 16,000 vehicles. Willys won the contract mostly due to its more powerful engine (theGo Devil), which soldiers raved about, and its lower cost and silhouette. The design features in the Bantam and Ford entries which represented an improvement over Willys' design were then incorporated into the Willys car, moving it from an A designation to B, thus theMBnomenclature. Most notable was a flat wide hood, adapted from Ford GP.
By October 1941, it became apparent Willys-Overland could not keep up with the production demand and Ford was contracted to produce them as well exactly according toWillysblueprints, drawings