SOUTHERN WHEELS CAR CLUB
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
The Southern Wheels Car Club is a non-profit organization formed in 1997 with a two-fold purpose:
We wanted to establish a family-oriented club bringing together car enthusiasts for common activities such as cruising to shows together, participating in holiday events, hosting and attending cruise-ins, etc. Secondly and equally important, we wanted to form a group that could make a significant contribution to our community, participating in many civic and charitable events. We have accomplished just that. Our membership consists of almost 30 families, ranging in age from sixteen through sixty, and occupations of all kinds. We do not restrict membership to this club, anyone can apply to join.
In 2000, we decided to focus our energies on the Tuscaloosa Childrens Center, an organization in need of direct financial assistance. Our support to them includes volunteer work at the center with maintenance and repairs and donating 95% of all monies collected from our Annual Car Show. The remaining 5% covers the expense of conducting the show. In 2012, our contributions to them from the show exceeded $9,500. In addition to this amount, Sonic, one of our corporate sponsors, allows us to have monthly cruise-ins at their McFarland Blvd. location from April-October of each year. At these events, donations are collected from the public and
Sonic donates 20% of the sales during that time to benefit the Center.
It takes generosity, commitment, and hard work by many to support this worthy cause, and donations of money and merchandise assure our success. All donations made to the car club are completely tax deductible.
Southern Wheels Car Club
Bill Leonard, President