Your Classic Car Community and Marketplace
Register | MyOldRide Account | OldRide Store | Support | Site Map   
OldRide HomeClassic Cars and Trucks For SaleClassic Car and Truck Parts For SaleSell on OldRideOldRide AnswersRusty RidesCar Show ListingsCar Club ListingsResearch Library  
OldRide Answers Home
Using OldRide Answers
Ask a Question
Browse Questions In:
Other Makes
Classic Trucks
 General Topics
General Questions
Help Identify
Classic Car News
General Restoration
Vehicle Maintenance
Site Suggestions & Comments


Ask a Question in OldRide Answers
Help Enrich the Classic Car Community
Explore Closed Questions and Answers
 Search Questions: 
on a shift indicator what does Gr means
you P RND Gr this is on the lens /emblem and would anybody know were i could get one for a 1960 chev belair mine is all cracked and ny indicator has P R N D L pls let me know if anyone knows i've tried a lot of places with no luck it is only 1/4 of an inch wide it;s got a black back round thanks
posted: July 26, 2013
  Answers (5)
the turboglide trans used the gr [ grade retarder ] to hold back the car on down hill grades. the trans was a series of turbines and had only one speed in the drive position , similar to the buick dynaflow .they were a problem trans for CHEVY and many were changed to powerglides .
posted:  July 27, 2013
Click to close this picture
One of GM's "better" ideas, Not a Powerglide trans. Gr stood for "grade retard" A trans brake for going down hill. Didn't work out as trans was still a two-speed, but people would manually shift using Gr as second gear, not good. Instead of rebuild, trans was replaced (upgrade) to Powerglide. Make sure which trans you have then get correct indicator. Hope this helps.......DD
posted:  August 6, 2013
Click to close this picture
On a standard transmission GR would refer to the lowest forward gear.
GR meaning "grade". GR picked up the nickname of "granny gear" on account of how slow it is.
sources: In the early 60's my Dad had an International P/U with a shift knob marked
GR, 1, 2, 3 , and reverse
posted:  August 7, 2013
Click to close this picture
Gr means 'Grade Retard' used for engine breaking on downgrades, Chevie 'Turboglide trans'
posted:  August 9, 2013
Click to close this picture
Gr was used on TurboGlide transmissions, and meant Grade Reduction. It was to be used going down steep hills and such, but in reality, was just a fancy name for Low. We had one of these trannys on a '59 Bel Air.
posted:  August 13, 2013
Click to close this picture

Home | Classifieds: Vehicles / Parts | Sell on OldRide | Rusty Rides | OldRide Answers | Events | Clubs

Library | Car & Truck Resources | MyOldRide Account | Support | OldRide Banners | Car Photos

Copyright © 2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved | OldRide Support | Terms of Use | Classifieds Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Cookies